Thursday, November 09, 2006

When I Travel in Kolkata

It seems I have to travel for so long time all of my life to reach my office. It's been like this always. Since I joined RTG, my first job as a Graphic designer. I have been traveling for more than 3 hrs a day since then. Now when I am with Isolution as a web designer I am still traveling for more than 3 hrs a day.

I can't say I don't like it. In fact I love the time I get to be alone and away from known people. I watch nature, people, streets, buildings, I watch my Kolkata. I explored almost whole Kolkata this way. When I travel by bus it gives me window to touch the outside world with the imaginary fingers of my mind. I touch new red blossoms in the spring, I touch the top of the clouds in the autumn. I see buildings are going high, touching sky everyday. I watch new new banners, hoardings, I get new ideas for my work.

And then I watch people, mostly kids. They are just awesome, amazing in their own way. I enjoy most watching them. I have many stories to tell about kids I see, interact on my way. It is wonderful that how they make me feel good that I even forget all my stress.

I see one boy(5 yrs hardly) goes to school with his mum everyday, catches the same bus i take. One day I took him on my lap to let him sit as they didn't get any empty seat. The boy is so adorable. He was trying so hard to not to fall asleep. But at the end he did and I held him dearly to make him feel comfortable and sleep in peace. He is too small to travel for more than 1 hr and attend a school, which is just at the opposite of the city. I really hate the parents for that reason. He slept all the while and I was missing my nephew whom I didn't meet for years and might be same age as him. At the end her mother got seat beside me and while moving away he got awake. He was still sitting on my lap and mother started making fun of him "had a nice sleep aannn? :P ". He got angry and said "No way, I was not sleeping at all. huh!!! /:) ". We both started laughing for the way he said it.

Then another day. It was really hot outside and i was frustrated to be stuck in the traffic jam. Suddenly a school bus came beside and it was full with naughty kids on their way back home. They were giggling and chatting with each other. Don't know how one girl saw me and started teasing me "hello Aunty, achhe hain na?" but with a genuine smile. And then all the kids started saying same and waving at me. I waved back too with a stupid smile on my face (it was stupid i can bet... lol). Then after a while we were apart but still they had left the smile on my face. They made my day.

Now it is about a married lady I made friends with on my way to office in bus. I can still remember how she given me a weird look on the very first day. I was wearing normal dress as I always wear (trouser and top) but may be she is so conservative that she didn't like it and her eyes uttered few unspoken words like "oh god what is she wearing" as I felt. I felt very bad that day. Then after few days we both giggled at each other for some funny incidents in bus as we saw each other enough to smile at each other in bus. I always heard that a smile can change the world, now i saw too. She waits for me to get into the bus everyday now. Even one day when the bus was not willing to stop for me and get me in, she made it stop for me by screaming at the conductor. I reached at office on time that day.

There are many more stories to remember. But May be some other day...

No comments: